Billing and invoices
Lob's billing is made up of three components for both our Print & Mail and Address Verification products:
- Subscriptions: Recurring subscriptions to access our premium technology platform. Subscriptions are billed upfront, either annually or monthly, at the start of the chosen billing cycle.
- Mailpiece usage cost & add-on charges: Pay-as-you-go usage charge for mail pieces sent, inclusive of printing, postage, and delivery costs. Usage is billed monthly at the start of each calendar month for mail pieces sent in the previous calendar month.
- Premium support charge (if applicable): Billed on the monthly at the start of each calendar month for that month's usage.
Once a subscription plan is purchased, it will renew automatically at the start of each billing cycle (monthly or yearly) unless you perform an upgrade, downgrade or cancellation.
- For subscriptions that do not start on the first of a month, monthly subscriptions for Print & Mail will be charged at a prorated amount for the first month and a recurring full monthly charge on the 1st of each subsequent month. Charges for mail pieces and add-on charges will be applied to your bill on a monthly basis.
- Annual subscriptions will be charged at the time of purchase. The payment covers the prorated amount for the current month and the subsequent eleven months. The upfront annual subscription fee will be charged every subsequent year. Charges for mail pieces and add-on charges will be applied to your bill on a monthly basis.
Usage counts for mailing volumes are applied based on calendar months and will reset on the first of each month at 12:00AM UTC.
Starting 2023, ensuring that your corporate billing address is on file and remains updated is an important step in accurately calculating your sales tax.
- For SMBs or private individuals, the billing and company addresses may be one and the same.
In general, a payment method must be added to your account in order to use the Live API key to make live Print & Mail API requests. However, a payment method is not required for the first 300 live Address Verification API requests per month to the
/v1/us_verificationsendpoint. After the first 300 verification requests, you will begin receiving errors with status code
If you are sending at high volumes, we recommend you set up electronic ACH payments. If you are spending over $2,000 a month, we will require that you to set up ACH.
We accept the following international and domestic credit cards:
- American Express
- China UnionPay (CUP)
- Discover & Diners
- Japan Credit Bureau (JCB)
- Invoice Summary will download an invoice summary for the select period in PDF format.
- Invoice Details will download a .csv file separating out the value of postage from the total sales price. (Note: Invoice Details is only available for invoices starting January 2023.)
If your primary payment method is an ACH account, you can pay an outstanding invoice by reaching out to support via email at [email protected] with your invoice number and stating your desire to recharge the outstanding balance.
If your primary payment method is a credit card, you can recharge your invoice directly by clicking on the “recharge” button next to the unpaid invoice in your Lob dashboard.
Note: the "recharge" option is only visible to Admins on your account.
Any existing credit for the current month will be reflected and automatically deducted in your next billing cycle's invoice. This credit will be represented in the "Other Charges" section of the invoices, and listed as "Account Credit." This credit cannot be applied retroactively.
For Enterprise edition customers, Lob is able to address specialized billing needs by allowing greater flexibility to generate invoices that are more reflective of your Lob Print & Mail usage. This can simplify fractional charges between the different parts of your organization that send mail, and provide data-driven visibility that unlocks new revenue potential based on a “pay for what you use” billing structure.
Specialized billing needs may be defined by (but not limited to):
- Separating annual subscriptions vs consumption-based monthly usage charges
- Differentiating monthly usage between different cost centers or end-customers
- Examples: Different campaign objectives within a marketing team, different teams or departments, offices/entities located across multiple states, or white-labeling Lob
In order to simplify your cost calculations by customizing your billing structure, a detailed request should be made to your Customer Success Manager (CSM). Once this request is reviewed and approved by our Finance team, our team will be able to provide further instructions on how to modify your invoice and fulfill your needs at the start of the following billing period.
Refer to our API documentation for more information on creating flexible billing groups from the API. Customers with access to this feature can create a billing group from the Lob Dashboard here. If you are an Enterprise edition customer that is interested in enabling this billing modification, reach out to your Account Manager with request details.